Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Creamy Chicken Vegtable Soup


Original recipe from HERE. I have changed it just a smidge to make it a little easier on my calories, but I will note the original and the changes:

1 cup carrots chopped
1/2 onion chopped (I used yellow, it calls for red)
2 stalks of celery sliced
2 cans of chicken broth (original calls for water and buillion cubes, but I used the low sodium broth from a can)
1/2 Tbs Basil
4 medium red potatoes cubed
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 1/2 cups of milk (I used 1 1/2 cup of 2% and 1 cup of skim, original called for 2 cups of milk but I thought it needed just a smidge more)
1/2 cup flour
Chicken cooked and cubed, I did about 2 big chicken breasts worth
6 oz of velvetta cheese (original called for 8 oz.)

In pot put carrots, celery, and onion and cover with 2 cans of broth, add basil. Bring to a boil and cook until carrots start to tender. Add potatoes and peas and boil for 5-10 minutes until potatoes just start to tender up. In a seperate bowl combine milk and flour and wisk until smooth. Add to pot once pototaoes are ready. Add chicken and cheese and simmer until cheese melts and potatoes are cooked all the way.

This was a super yummy soup recipe!

No comments: